Coronary Care Unit
Our Coronary Care Unit investigates and treats chronic and acute cardiac disease.
Specialists are able to address a range of disorders including:
- Acute coronary syndromes, such as chest pain, angina, unstable angina,
ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) and non-STEMI
- Acute pulmonary oedema
- Cardiac rhythm disorders
- Heart failure
Tests available to patients include electrocardiography, echocardiogram, myocardial perfusion scan, cardiac MRI and CT angiogram.
Procedures conducted in the Coronary Care Unit include:
- Direct current cardioversion
- Transoesophageal Echocardiogram
- Elective and acute percutaneous coronary intervention balloon angioplasty and stenting
- Temporary and permanent pacemaker insertion
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator
- Closure of patent foramen ovale
- Valvuloplasty and catheter ablation
We have the ability to undertake invasive haemodynamic monitoring, inotropic support, non-invasive ventilation and intra-aortic balloon pumping as required.
The Coronary Care Unit is a high-care environment with a high ratio of nurses to patients on the ward. Monitoring equipment above each bed enables nursing staff to constantly monitor heart rhythms and other important signs, such as blood pressure and oxygen levels. Information is sent to a central monitor so staff can still monitor each patient even when not at the bedside.
The unit offers nine acute care private rooms for patients to recover in a comfortable and peaceful environment under the care of a dedicated team of specialist doctors and nurses.
The unit is supported by a 24-hour on-call team to ensure that acute coronary syndromes can be treated day or night.
To view the list of cardiologists working at Hollywood Private Hospital, click here.