- No Gap Provider for General Surgery, known gap for bariatric surgery
- Waiting Times for Clinic - within the week
- Happy to provide advice to GPs prior to referrals
- Telehealth and skype consults are available for follow-ups
Mr Jonathan Foo is a specialist Upper Gastrointestinal, Bariatric and General Surgeon based at the Upper Gastrointestinal Unit at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and at Hollywood Private Hospital with Perth Upper GI. He provides dedicated care for pathologies such as reflux, hiatal hernia, gallbladder disease and abdominal wall hernias. He has a particular interest in gastro-oesopahgeal cancer and bariatric surgery.
Background and Training
Jonathan completed his medical degree in 2004 and he undertook a PhD in bariatric surgery for which he was the recipient of the prestigious Clinical Research Training Fellowship from the Health Research Council of New Zealand. This thesis was awarded the University of Otago Basic Science PhD prize in 2011 and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Sir Louis Barnett Prize in 2011.
Advanced Oesophago-gastric and Bariatric Fellowships
After his surgical training in New Zealand he continued formal post-fellowship training in Upper GI/Bariatric surgery with the College of Surgeons ANZGOSA program. He undertook three years of high-volume advanced oesophagogastric and bariatric fellowships at Sir Charles Gairdner, then with prominent bariatric surgeon, Mr Ahmad Aly, at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne and finally with Professor Michael Griffin at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in the United Kingdom in one of the highest volume oesophago-gastric units in the world. He also took part in an invited observership at the National Cancer Institute Hospital in Tokyo.
Education and Publications
Jonathan has been an invited speaker at medical, education and surgical conferences internationally. He has published numerous journal articles, written a book chapter on oesophageal tumours, presented internationally and is an Associate Professor with the University of Western Australia.
- MBChB: Undergraduate Medical Degree at the University of Otago, NZ
- PhD: Doctor of Philosophy, Otago University, NZ
- MFSTEd: Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers, Edinburgh, UK
- FRCS(Ed): Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- FRACS: Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, AUS
Above all, Jonathan believes in surgical excellence and quality of life following your surgery.